Friday, January 3, 2014

So Far This Is The Best Year Ever!

Todd dressed up as Baby New Year. What a party animal.
 

 
Last year via Pinterest I started one of those memory jars. I tried really, really hard to remember to jot down family events as they occurred. I'm looking forward to sitting down with my family for a year in review.
 

What better way to start off the new year, than a pork and kraut dinner?
It's been a family tradition for as long as I can remember. My grandfather had a farm/butcher shop that was passed down to my uncle. They raised and butchered their own beef and made their own kraut.
 
 
Why start the year with pork? Because a pig will use it's snout to root for food forwards. It is believed to be good luck to move you forward into the new year not backwards like when a chicken or turkey scratches.
 
Look at that golden deliciousness, right there. This stuff is heads and tails tastier than the stuff in the bag, or the canned variety.
 
 
This year my uncle made 15 buckets at 5 gallons per bucket, that equals a whole lot of sauerkraut. last year they made 25 buckets, selling off the last of the kraut in October. This year they estimate selling out by March.
 
Cheers and Happy New Year!
 



No comments: