Monday, April 16, 2012

Little Chick, Big Dreams

My 7th grader, "Chick" came home from school excited to get started on an extra credit assignment for Science Class. Yes, I used the words 7th grader, excited, extra credit and Science Class in the same sentence. As usual, the Chick is thinking big, coming up with all kinds of larger than life ideas that we can never accomplish in less than a week. I love this about her. The ideas can always be scaled back, it's far worse to think small or not even at all. (Ba dum dum!) I start making suggestions, then start thinking big myself...Hey, she's my Chick, apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I grab a back issue of Cloth, Paper, Scissors that shows how to create fused-plastic fabric. I've been saving colorful shopping bags for over a year, specifically to try this technique. It pays to be a pack rat. Tonight, she started cutting into the bags, arranging, laying out the snippets of color. It took a little while for the creative juices to start flowing, but then this...


became this...


and ended up like this...


Stay tuned for the final project...


2 comments:

elle squared said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.